I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
Are you looking to reduce the carbs in your diet? Finding breakfast a challenge without your typical cereal or toast? Try Portobello and Sausage Muffins for a low-carb breakfast instead.
Low-Carb Breakfast: Portobello and Sausage Muffins
I’ll admit that I love my daily Shakeology. It gives me a wonderful boost of nutrition to get the day started right. However, there are times when I want something warm to eat.
While I can scramble up some eggs, I find myself bored with them and start craving those carbs. Yet, I know that a regular bagel or toast isn’t great for my blood sugar levels.
Eating low-carb is something I have had more than one person recommend to help lose my stubborn weight. My immune system has issues that are slow to respond to medication.
It was during a doctor visit when the idea of eating at least gluten free was presented. While I haven’t given up gluten completely, I have cut back. And, I have noticed that when I have bread products I get a funky feeling on my tongue.
From a friend who had similar weight struggles, I can see that going low-carb is the path I need to take next. I’ll admit the thought drives me nuts as I love certain carbs. But, health is more important than momentary pleasure.
Making Portobello and Sausage Muffins
These tasty low-carb breakfast muffins are the perfect make-ahead meal for those busy mornings when you don’t have 5 minutes to spare. Just whip up a quick batch or two to freeze over the weekend and you’ll have a hearty, satisfying breakfast that you can just grab, defrost, and go!
- 12 oz. spicy pork sausage
- 12 whole eggs
- 4 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, green portion only
- 8 oz. four cheese Mexican blend, finely shredded
- 2 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350˚
- Crumble sausage with your hands into bite-sized pieces into a large skillet. Over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until it is no longer pink. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat.
- Crack eggs into a large glass bowl and beat thoroughly with a fork. Add cooked sausage, Portobello mushrooms, green onion, ½ cheese blend, salt and pepper. Vigorously stir with a fork to blend all ingredients.
- Spray both muffin tins thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray and scoop ¼ cup of egg mixture into each container. (You should have enough for approximately 16 muffins)
- When finished, top each cup with equal amounts of the remaining Mexican-blend cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 20–25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly before removing from pan. Serve immediately or place in freezer-safe container to freeze for later use.
- Yields 16 medium-sized muffins.
What are some ways you have cut carbs from breakfast?
Would these Portobello and Sausage Muffins be a hit in your house?