I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
There are days when something creamy just fits the bill. You want to coat your tastebuds with the smooth, rich feeling only a cream based dish can deliver. This Chicken Lanzone with Baby Portobello Mushrooms is one such dish. Beyond meeting that need for a creamy texture, you also get the benefit of being low carb and gluten free.
Chicken Lanzone is said to have originated at Brennan’s restaurant in New Orleans. If you’ve never been, it is a place to experience many of the classic tastes of New Orleans.
This flavorful, naturally low carb recipe leverages a spice mixture of two parts garlic powder to one part each of onion powder, chili powder, and paprika. This version builds on this flavor profile with the introduction of sliced baby Portobello mushrooms.
Making Chicken Lanzone with Baby Portobello Mushrooms
This recipe was developed for making in an electric pressure cooker, like an Instant Pot®. Other models, like the Mealthy Multipot I own, will work as well.
Chicken Lanzone is traditionally served over pasta to absorb the delicious, creamy pan sauce. With a great gluten-free pasta, you can still do this.
My favorite choices for a gluten-free pasta include:
For a low carb version, it can also be enjoyed on its own or paired with mashed cauliflower, zucchini noodles, or steamed asparagus.
Making your own veggie noodles is easy with a spiralizer.
Tip: You can also use chicken tenders or cutlets in place of the butterflied chicken breasts in this recipe.
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 t. paprika
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts, butterflied
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 10 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- ½ c. chicken broth, preferably organic
- ¾ c. heavy cream
- 2 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Combine garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder in a small bowl and stir to combine. Rub spice mixture into each butterflied chicken breast and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot® and add one tablespoon olive oil once hot. Add seasoned chicken breasts and brown on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. (Work in batches, if necessary, adding more olive oil as necessary). Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to Instant Pot®, along with sliced Portobello Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms develop a nice golden brown color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and gently deglaze the bottom of the pot, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon in the process.
- Turn unit off and return chicken to the pot. Add lid and lock into place. Position the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 3 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by adding a small amount of the hot cooking liquid to it before stirring it directly into the pot. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately with some of the creamy sauce spooned over the chicken and mushrooms. Enjoy!
You can also use chicken tenders or cutlets in place of the butterflied chicken breasts in this recipe.
More Gluten-Free Main Dish Recipes
Need more recipe ideas? Here are some reader favorites for you to try: